Re: vnc-problems

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html#q20

Q20 Why can I only run vncserver/Xvnc as root?

The most likely reason for this is that Xvnc can't create the unix domain
socket (the path for this unix domain socket is usually
/tmp/.X11-unix/Xn). Try making sure that users can write to this directory
by making it world-writable, i.e. "chmod a+w /tmp/.X11-unix". Note that to
avoid a security loophole the "sticky bit" should also be set on the
directory by doing "chmod o+t /tmp/.X11-unix". If you don't do this then
someone else logged in to the same machine may be able to intercept the X
protocol and thereby access your desktop and snoop on it, etc. An
alternative is to set the Xvnc binary to have the same permissions as your
normal X server, but this may be more of a security risk.

      Linux System Administrator           http://www.firetrail.com/