Re: vnc-problems

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 01:26:55PM +0300, virtanen wrote:

> I installed vncserver and xvncviewer.

[...]
> The second problem is that I cannot run xvncviewer on the local consoles.
> Basically the server is working (as 'root'), because I can run a viewer on
> a mswin machine to get an vnc access to the machine. On the local machine
> the viewer starts, but it is complaining that it cannot open the display.
> What is wrong? What to do?

xvncviewer is not actually an xserver in the sense that you type it
from a text console and it gives you a graphical console.  All the
viewer does is allow you to view a vnc session started by the server.
Once you have a GUI to play with, xvncviewer will let you load the
independent xsession you've started with vncserver.

In case that's really unclear, try doing a startx followed by a
vncserver; xvncviewer with appropriate options.  Your startx session
will now contain a window which has your vnc session in it.

Rob

--
I never met a woman I couldn't drink pretty.