Re: PCI Soundcard

> On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Shannon wrote:
>
> > In message <[🔎] 199910031632.JAA12454@arne.longship.net>, longship@keyway.net write
> > s:
> >
> > > The best bargain in the business has got to be the Creative Ensoniq
> > > PCI128.  I bought a card at CompUSA for under $30.00.  It's based on
> > > the ENS1371 chipset and works well with standard kernel (2.2) and ALSA
> > > drivers.  I have used both drivers and have settled on ALSA.
> >
> > Could you detail why you settled on ALSA?
>
> On a slightly unrelated note, i settled on ALSA for my SoundBlaster 16PnP
> because the OSS drivers in the kernel only support the card in half
> duplex, while the ALSA drivers support full duplex.
>

> - --

I switched to ALSA because it is full duplex as well.  I need this
because I am in the process of configuring Speak Freely.

ALSA isn't perfect, but it is getting pretty darn good.  If you don't
need the fancy features, the default kernel support, especially in the
2.2 kernel, is fine, just not as complete.

Certainly, the 2.2 kernel's ease of use (just compile and reboot and
you're done) has a lot to say for it.  Most modular kernels don't even
need that, just insmod your sound card module and you're done.  I
prefer to custom compile my kernel.  YMMV.

Arne