install problems

Hi. I have been trying to install my linux distribution and am having
problems with my cdrom drive. The cd is connected to an interface card with
2 rca jacks sticking out the back. The install will not mount the cdrom. My
computer is a 486 /sx33. The hard drive is connected to an input card with
only one ide input. My main question is can I buy a new cdrom drive and
expect it to work on this archaic system? If it is an ide cdrom interface,
does that mean that it will connect to the same pin cable that the hard
drive uses?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jeff