Re: PPP

On 28. September 1999, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> Petru NOTINGHER wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I use ppp to connect to my provider. When it connects, I can do "ping",
> > everything's OK.
> > However, I can't do ftp or smtp or http; il lasts for years and nothing
> > happens.
> > When I run ftp, I get the message "Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx", and then
> > nothing happens.
> > I can't access the remote machine. I can't read my mail or surf either.
> >
> > Please help !
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Petru
>
> Petru,
>
> It sounds as though you've made the connection to your provider, and ppp is
> working fine; but your system can't find the nameserver.  Did you put your
> provider's domain and nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf?
>
> My ISP's domain is io.com.  The nameserver is 199.170.88.29.  I put the
> following into /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> search io.com
> nameserver 199.170.88.29
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Andrew Gould

And if you want to read a little bit to gain a little knowledge on PPP, then
read some HOWTO's like PPP and ISP-Hookup or whatever it is called, ISP
something at least  :)
In the ISP howto then there is a detailed listing of what you have to do to
be able to use the connection youve got and how to configure your programs
like lynx, netscape, irc, mail clients, etc etc...

* Ólafur Jens Sigurðsson       |     Olafur Jens Sigurdsson          *
* Eðlisfræðinemi               |     Physics Student                 *
* Háskóli Íslands              |     University of Iceland           *
* ojs@hi.is                    |     ojs@hi.is                       *