Re: Modem + setserial + minicom problems

On 25. September 1999, Michelle Maria Coelho wrote:
> > Hi DebianUsers,
>
> I have installed slink on my 486 last night..The kernel can't recognize the modem.
> When I ran minicom, all it says is
> Serial operation not supported by ttyS3. The modem is jumper configured for ttyS3.
> If I do a setserial -a ttyS3, I get the same reply..

Does the same thing happen on the other serial ports, ttyS0-2 ?
If it does, are you using a serial mouse and does it work?

If the same thing isnt happening on the other serial ports I would just
recreate this particular serial port (i think there is a program called
Makedev to do this, do a man MAKEDEV or something like that.

> Can some one figure out a solution.
> This is my third time installing DEbian. The first 2 times, I didn't have this
> problem and I was using the same modem then as now..Also, then at boot time, the
> kernel would give a message like:
> Configuring serial ports..
> ttyS0 is  a  xxx UART
> ttyS1 is a ..xxx UART
> ttyS2 is a.. xxx UART
> ttyS3 is a .. xxx UART
> But I don't get this massage any more..All I get is Configuring serial ports...done
> Also when I do a minicom -s, it shows ttyS3 as the serial device.
> I did a ls /dev/ttyS*

This message is normal I think, not sure though (im not on my own machine
now so I cant take a look at dmesg )

Good luck

* Ólafur Jens Sigurðsson       |     Olafur Jens Sigurdsson          *
* Eðlisfræðinemi               |     Physics Student                 *
* Háskóli Íslands              |     University of Iceland           *
* ojs@hi.is                    |     ojs@hi.is                       *