Re: PPP

Petru NOTINGHER wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I use ppp to connect to my provider. When it connects, I can do "ping",
> everything's OK.
> However, I can't do ftp or smtp or http; il lasts for years and nothing
> happens.
> When I run ftp, I get the message "Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx", and then
> nothing happens.
> I can't access the remote machine. I can't read my mail or surf either.
>
> Please help !
>
> Thanks.
>
> Petru

Petru,

It sounds as though you've made the connection to your provider, and ppp is
working fine; but your system can't find the nameserver.  Did you put your
provider's domain and nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf?

My ISP's domain is io.com.  The nameserver is 199.170.88.29.  I put the
following into /etc/resolv.conf:

search io.com
nameserver 199.170.88.29

I hope this helps.