[Fwd: Re: plip problems ahoy]

Ooops. Forgot to reply to all...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: plip problems ahoy
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:14:03 +1000
From: Matthew Dalton <matthewd@research.canon.com.au>
To: Marcin Owsiany <porridge@pandora.info.bielsko.pl>
<[🔎] 19990920145253.B597@pecet.info.bielsko.pl>
<[🔎] 37E6D130.32C8A25@research.canon.com.au>
<[🔎] 19990921233307.E592@pecet.info.bielsko.pl>

Marcin Owsiany wrote:

> are you sure it does masquerading both for 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x and
> not just for 192.168.1.x?
> I'm not sure, but i think the most basic masquerading setup does
> masquerading of the local network for _all_ other hosts. And you have to
> remember that a masqueraded host canot be pinged nor connected to in any
> way! (as the name suggests, unless you have port forwarding rules to enable
> this)

It only does masquerading for 192.168.1.x, but saturn was not
masqerading at the time I was trying to get PLIP to work - ipchains had
not been called and there were no firewall/masq rules in place. The ppp0
device was not activated and was not on the routing tables.

Hmmm... although it is possible that I had previously dialed in to the
internet (ie I dialed in to download the PLIP HOWTO :0 ), and so the
ipchains rules were still in place.... you know, I think you're right.

I'll either modify the masqerade rules to include 192.168.2.x (which
I'll need to do anyway to enable internet browsing for comet), or I'll
enable port forwarding for the 192.168.1.x <-> 192.168.2.x route and see
what works. It's possible to masqerade for more than one subnet at a
time... but will saturn know not to masquerade between fellow
masqueraded subnets (without port forwarding)? I'll give it a go and see
what happens!

Thanks alot for the help!
Matthew