Re: plip problems ahoy

Marcin Owsiany wrote:

> > Earth is the only computer which has a cdrom drive. I wish to connect
> > comet to saturn though, because PLIP requires that IP forwarding be
> > enabled in the kernel (according to the PLIP mini-HOWTO... is it
> > correct?).
>
> I know almost nothing about PLIP, so I can't tell you if it's required, but
> if it is similar to PPP, then it isn't if you just want to connect _two_
> boxes with a cable. However, your situation requires IP forwarding simply
> beacause you have to forward packets from earth to comet. It would be
> necessary in any case provided earth and comet don't have a direct link.

The PLIP howto goes through setting up support in the kernel for PLIP. It does
this right at the beginning, before any of the more specific PLIP usage details
are covered. I assumed from this that somehow IP forwarding was required even
for the simplest PLIP setup, even though this sounds somewhat silly. This is why
I decided to connect comet to saturn.
It turns out that you are correct though, IP forwarding is only required for
situations such as my own, where there is not a direct link to the computer I am
communicating to.

> > Saturn also acts as a gateway for IP-Masqerading, and so
> > already has support for IP forwarding. I don't want to compile support
>
> I think that's the point. If I were you, I would check if earth isn't
> masqeraded, because the symptoms are like it is.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Earth is masqueraded when saturn's ppp link
is up. I can't see how the masquerading would make any difference though...
saturn is the gateway for both earth and comet, and should be forwarding packets
between the eth0 and plip0 interfaces.

> However I'm not sure
> because you have provided no informaion about your other boxes, other
> saturn's interfaces and the masquerading setup???!

All of saturn's interfaces are on the diagram, except for the ppp link which is
a dialup internet connection. Saturn masquerades this connection to earth and
any other computer on 192.168.1.x.

As it happens, last night I managed to get it working. I just don't know how it
happened... I turned everything on, and suddenly I was able to telnet and ftp
from comet to earth (I did not change any settings, and used the same scripts I
had previously written to bring up the plip link). I managed to install the
packages I wanted, after fiddling with anonftp on earth and apt.sources on
comet. Curiously, later on the plip link once again refused to work. Could the
order that things initialise be influencing plip?

Matthew