Re: plip problems ahoy

> > > Saturn also acts as a gateway for IP-Masqerading, and so
> > > already has support for IP forwarding. I don't want to compile support
> >
> > I think that's the point. If I were you, I would check if earth isn't
> > masqeraded, because the symptoms are like it is.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this. Earth is masqueraded when saturn's ppp link
> is up. I can't see how the masquerading would make any difference though...
> saturn is the gateway for both earth and comet, and should be forwarding packets
> between the eth0 and plip0 interfaces.

are you sure it does masquerading both for 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x and
not just for 192.168.1.x?
I'm not sure, but i think the most basic masquerading setup does
masquerading of the local network for _all_ other hosts. And you have to
remember that a masqueraded host canot be pinged nor connected to in any
way! (as the name suggests, unless you have port forwarding rules to enable
this)

> > However I'm not sure
> > because you have provided no informaion about your other boxes, other
> > saturn's interfaces and the masquerading setup???!
>
> All of saturn's interfaces are on the diagram, except for the ppp link which is
> a dialup internet connection. Saturn masquerades this connection to earth and
> any other computer on 192.168.1.x.
>
> As it happens, last night I managed to get it working. I just don't know how it
> happened... I turned everything on, and suddenly I was able to telnet and ftp
> from comet to earth (I did not change any settings, and used the same scripts I
> had previously written to bring up the plip link). I managed to install the
> packages I wanted, after fiddling with anonftp on earth and apt.sources on
> comet. Curiously, later on the plip link once again refused to work. Could the
> order that things initialise be influencing plip?

I repeat, i know nothing about things specific to PLIP, but the only thing
that would change the situation seems to be some modification of routing
information. (read: i still suspect the masquerading - wasn't it when the
modem connected when the plip refused to work?)
Also: if A side of a PLIP link sees the B side but not the other way round,
it's not the fault of PLIP link. It's the routing information.

Marcin

--

Marcin Owsiany