Floppy light stays perpetually on.

Hi,

I went to use my floppy and noticed that the light is perpetually on.
Trying to use mdir gives:

# mdir a:
Can't open /dev/fd0: Device not configured
Cannot initialize 'A:'

Alternatively, trying to use mount on a ext2 floppy gives:

# mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /floppy
mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

I tried rebooting.  The floppy light comes on straight away (and stays
on) and the system tries to boot from the floppy but fails, so goes on
to the hard drive.

It seems to me most likely that this is a hardware failure.  Would
anyone concur?  I tried opening up the box and un-plugging-re-plugging
the cable but that didn't seem to help.  I am wondering if the floppy
drive has died.  It is sitting between two harddrives, so perhaps it
got too hot?  Though I didn't think drives did get too hot???

Ideas anyone?  Please cc any replies directly to me because although
I've recently subscribed, the list doesn't seem to be being sent to me
yet.

Cheers,

Mark.