Re: CD player question

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 05:33:09PM +0200, Lex Chive wrote:
> There is a catch with the es1370 driver in the kernel: it does not support the
> /dev/dsp interface the way the other drivers do (eg you cant use 'cat
> myfile.au >/dev/dsp' to produce sound).  If saytime try to use something like

I see. That may very well be the reason why saytime doesn't work. In fact
this is a minor problem. Saytime is a nice toy to impress someone knowing
nothing about computers but other than that, I don't use it much.

> that that might be the problem. I had the with ICQJava before I switched to
> the ALSA drivers (and before I switched to gnomeicu). Thus you might want to
> try the alsa drivers.

Thanks.

> As for your CD sound problem... afaik you dont even need the sound driver to
> get sound from our cd, if you plugged the cd audio cable correctly (but I
> suppose windoze players use this to make sound too, so the cable is probably
> not the problem). No clue on whats happening there. Did you make sure you

That's exactly what I thought. In fact I did see them plug the cable in.

> correctly specified the device to use?

It starts working with the CD. I can switch tracks etc. I just do not get
any music.

> I hope you can get things working :)

Thanks.

Michael