Re: CD player question

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 02:46:25PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:

> My other system using an es1370 chip set PCI card that is (wherever
> possible) identically configured. I have no problem playing WAVs and MP3
> with play resp. splay. But that's about it. None of the CD players gives me
> any output. But I also get no error message at all. And saytime produces
> some static in the speaker. Now saytime uses /dev/audio while play/splay use
> /dev/dsp, so this may explain thsi difference. but why doesn't /dev/audio
> work? And why do all the CD players not say a word?

There is a catch with the es1370 driver in the kernel: it does not support the
/dev/dsp interface the way the other drivers do (eg you cant use 'cat
myfile.au >/dev/dsp' to produce sound).  If saytime try to use something like
that that might be the problem. I had the with ICQJava before I switched to
the ALSA drivers (and before I switched to gnomeicu). Thus you might want to
try the alsa drivers.

As for your CD sound problem... afaik you dont even need the sound driver to
get sound from our cd, if you plugged the cd audio cable correctly (but I
suppose windoze players use this to make sound too, so the cable is probably
not the problem). No clue on whats happening there. Did you make sure you
correctly specified the device to use?

I hope you can get things working :)

-Lex