Re: CD player question

Hi Micheal,
	Generally CD roms play audio cd's in the following way.

The CD-ROM reads the disk at 1x speed and converts the data to a audio signal via the internal DAC.

The audio output of your CD-ROM should be connected to your sound card via a wire seperate from the power cable and the IDE or SCSI cable.

The soundcard used this audio signal as just another analog  audio source and feeds it into the audio mixer just before the speaker outputs. The soundcard does NOT do any manipulation of the audio signal in the digital domain. (Basic soundcard here)

Therefore your soundcard and CDROM may be doing as they should but are missing the audio connection between them. You may have to puchase such a wire and install it.

You can verify you CDROM is working correctly by pluging in headphones to the jack on the front of the unit. Using the software of choice command your CD-ROM to play an audio the CD. If you hear music you CD-ROM is OK. Look at the connection or the soundcard.

Cheer David