CD player question

Could anyone please explain to me how the CD players put out the music?

It seems I'm having a problem with the sound card on one of my systems. I
have one with a isapnp Sounblaster that works fine. For instance I can use
play to play wav files, splay for MP3s, saytime tells me how late it is and
xfreecd as well as gtcd play the CD. The only thing that doens't seem to
work is emusic. But I didn't try more than just hitting PLAY on emusic so
there is a lot of room for missing configuration on my part.

My other system using an es1370 chip set PCI card that is (wherever
possible) identically configured. I have no problem playing WAVs and MP3
with play resp. splay. But that's about it. None of the CD players gives me
any output. But I also get no error message at all. And saytime produces
some static in the speaker. Now saytime uses /dev/audio while play/splay use
/dev/dsp, so this may explain thsi difference. but why doesn't /dev/audio
work? And why do all the CD players not say a word?

As a last note on teh PCI system all works well when using M$. Good sound
from the CD.

Michael

P.S.: Please CC me on replies.
Email: Michael@Fam-Meskes.De           | Use PostgreSQL!