Re: finding xawtv (was Re: where's a good howto for dpkg?)

André Bell wrote:

> >Yeah! Silly them they put it in the readme files :-)
> >
> >Windoze never uses them do they?
>
> Lost me on this one. There are 15 readme files on cd#1 and seven readme
> files on cd#2, I read them all. None of them tell me xawtv is on cd#2.  I
> don't understand what you meant.

You never did say which "brand" of CD you're using, but evidently it doesn't contain
the official Debian readme called "README.multicd". (I've attached it below)  The
Cheapbytes set has this file in the "/" directory of both binary 1 and binary 2. The
problem is that unless it reads the package list correctly off of the binary 2
package list, dselect may or may not know that xawtv (or any other package) is
available. It doesn't matter which disk the package is actually on, it's listing is
on binary 2.

Anyway, it's good to hear that you've solved your problem by downloading the deb.

John

--------------README.multicd-----------------------------------------

Multicd installation instructions
=================================

Once you have installed the base system and rebooted your machine, you
will need to go through and configure parts of the system (root
password etc.). After this you will be presented with dselect, the
standard package installation program on a Debian system.

If you wish to use the multicd installation method, as is the default
for CD-based installs, you should be careful to insert the LAST BINARY
CD of your set when you start, e.g.:

        if you have a single CD, insert that single CD
        if you have a 2-CD binary set, insert CD#2
        if you have an official 4-CD set, insert CD#2
                        (#3 and #4 should contain source only)
        etc.

README.multicd
Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk>