where's a good howto for dpkg?

I'm having "issues" trying to install single applications from the cdrom.
For example I can't find xawtv using dselect on the cdrom so I can install
xawtv to my harddrive.

Using '/' with dselect doesn't find xawtv, and when I type "dpkg -i
xawtv_2.19-1.deb" I get no such file or directory errors. I got the name
xawtv_2.19-1.deb by doing a search for xawtv on debian.org. maybe the file
name I'm using is wrong.

I'm guessing the file name is the same when installing from cdrom but looks
like I don't know enough just yet to successfully install xawtv with dpkg
nor dselect.

Any ideas what the error is -- besides user error :)

Andre'