Re: How retain Windows long file names?

>How long are the names???  The Linux filesystem supports names up to 256
>characters.  Are you sure you're not first putting the files on a plain
>DOS filesystem that lacks support for long names?

Positive. I'm running win95 and used xcopy /s to copy the files to the
floppy. I can view the files from dos and windows and the long file names
are there. When I put the floppy into my debian system debian only sees the
8.3 filename (example: filena~1.htm).  When I cp the files, 'what I see is
what I get'.

So I took advise and zipped the files with winzip and then downloaded the
non-free unzip utility so I can unzip the files to my /var/www/oneclick
area.  I'm installing the unzip deb now so hopefully that resolves the long
filename issue for now.

>cp -r copies entire directory trees.  It's in the man page.

Yes, I read that and tried it as well as -R.  Neither coppied all the
subdirectories from floppy to the harddrive. The root files copied but not
the subdirectories.  I'll try again.

Syntax I used while in /floppy was 'cp -r *.* /var/www/oneclick'
I also tried it with -R

Maybe I'm using the wrong syntax here(?)

Give a skeptic an inch... and he'll measure it.