Re: where's a good howto for dpkg?

>Using '/' with dselect doesn't find xawtv, and when I type "dpkg -i
>xawtv_2.19-1.deb" I get no such file or directory errors. I got the name
>xawtv_2.19-1.deb by doing a search for xawtv on debian.org. maybe the file
>name I'm using is wrong.

Oh I forgot to mention, when I type "apt-get install xawtv" I get these
messages:
   Can't open /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin - open (2 No such file or
directory)
   E: The previous errors apply to a Package Cache File
/var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin
   E: You should probably re-run apt-get update

I'm guessing this might be a way of telling me apt-get is not on the cdrom(?).

So I tried the apt-get update thingy but it failed because this machine is
not connected to the internet.

Next step?????

Andre