Re: OT: How to determine which distro(Debian,RH, etc)?

*- On 28 Aug, Shao Zhang wrote about "Re: OT: How to determine which distro(Debian,RH, etc)?"
> How about telnet to localhost??
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 localhost

Not everyone has the telnet service open and the prompt is subject to
the contents of /etc/issue.net which is configurable by the sysadmin.

After various responses I have come to the conclusion that the
FHS should specify a file which gives details of the OS
installed.  Something along the lines of /etc/release should be
available which gives at the minumum the OS name and release number and
any copyrights if appropriate.  This is what Solaris does, as an example
from a Solaris machine the /etc/release has the following.

                    Solaris 2.6 s297s_smccServer_37cshwp SPARC
           Copyright 1996 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                      Manufactured in the USA 18 July 1997

It is simple and easy to parse and can be a real plus for commercial
products that need to know which os is running for whatever reason.

Anybody know how to contact the FHS folks and send a comment/suggestion?

--
Brian