Re: Netscape Feedback

Ryan Chouinard wrote:

>     I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but these seem to be the most
> common.  Netscape has a lot of work to do if they want to remain
> in the good with Linux users.  Thank you everyone that sent me info. If
> anyone has other problems, let me know so I can add them to my
> report.

These were part of the reasons Mozilla is now free software.  Mozilla
has basically been entirely been rewritten since then though, and
Netscape has done an awesome job.  The foundation architecture is
excellent, and once it is released, I fully expect a large number of
independent developers to rapidly improve it.  Expect a "beta" in about
two months.  Whether Netscape will release a commercial beta at the
same, I don't know - I don't see that it matters.

> BTW, whatever happened to Gecko? (Netscape's proposed engine for the 5.x
> series; seems to have disappeared after 4.51...)

The Gecko previews were essentially repackaging of the Mozilla milestone
releases I believe.  "Gecko" is still going strong - in fact in recent
weeks, it is getting really really good in rendering the Mozilla UI.

See "http://www.mozilla.org/";.  The milestones come out every three
weeks usually - you can even get a package in the main debian
distribution.

--
     Matthew Tuck - Software Developer & All-Round Nice Guy
             mailto:matty@box.net.au (ICQ #8125618)