Re: E! Enlightenment for newbie?

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 02:28:25AM -0400, Robbie Huffman wrote:

> Hmmm...I though E and most of GNOME used Raster's imlib, which means they do
> an excellent job of dithering, even in 8 bit color. At least that has been my
> expereince. It's the next best thing to re-writing X code to get applications
> to share colors nicely. Of course, a low color theme will free up color
> cells. And you can set imlib to use a very small color pallete, thus saving
> colors for other applications at the cost of appearance. Just run
> imlib_config.

This is true, I forgot to mention this (well, it entered my mind, but since I only run X in 16/32bit, I don't know too much about the handling of colour shortages).

The few times I've run X in 8bit mode, (using E!) it has looked quite nice
(much better than trying a similar thing in Windows), though.

--
Matthew Gregan                                  kinetik@ihug.co.nz