Netscape Feedback

Hey,
    Well, I got quite a bit of feedback on Netscape, and I have to agree
that it, like any other applications, has it's bugs. However,
Netscape Communications is a commercial company, and as such they are
usually expected to produce higher quality products.
I can see that with Linux this is not always the case, but I would still
expect better testing and debugging than is evident. The
feedback I received tells me six things:

Netscape...
    1.) Java support is buggy
    2.) requires outrages resource allocation than is necessary
    3.) was not debugged very well, as evident with the MAILTO: link
bug; even if it is known, it has yet to be fixed.
    4.) is sluggish, even on my friend's PIII 450, also running Debian
    5.) is lacking many features Windows users enjoy, which could be
easily implanted
    6.) doesn't play well with older video cards, or cards with low
memory

    I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but these seem to be the most
common.  Netscape has a lot of work to do if they want to remain
in the good with Linux users.  Thank you everyone that sent me info. If
anyone has other problems, let me know so I can add them to my
report.

--Ryan Chouinard

BTW, whatever happened to Gecko? (Netscape's proposed engine for the 5.x
series; seems to have disappeared after 4.51...)