make partitions larger?

I'm trying to gracefully recover from an error I made in my first debian installation several months ago: While attempting to make /root fairly small, I created hda3 as 100M, wasting most of a 4G disk. I have just realized what I did and now I would like to bring this system up to something more usable without losing the work I've done over the past several months.

I can sucessfully create hda4 out of the empty space, but trying to mount it as /usr /etc /temp etc. only replaces my existing directory rather than extend that space... entirely reasonable, but it's not what I need right now.  :-)

I also have a new 8.4G drive that I could simply build a new filesystem on now that I'm older and wiser, but I don't find a tool that does that, and with My tiny system now clogged at 99% used, I don't think I could install it... or don't know how.

Any and all suggestions on how to grow the storage space on my box would be greatly appreciated.

Dave McFadden
mctech@galstar.com