PPP speeds; "nice"-ness

Whenever apt-get is scarfing files by ftp, it seems to take much of
the "bandwidth" of my 33.6 modem.  Fetchmail is often running very
slowly, while apt may run at 2K or even 3K, according to it's own
reports.

This prompts me to ask, is there a concept of "nice"ness for TCP/IP
connections?  How does apt arrange to have a priority, as apparently
it does, and arrange to have good speeds when other processes don't?

Is this all the rumblings of my imagination?

Alan