Re: Bizarre Clock Problem

Alexander Stavitsky wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 01:18:41PM +0930, Matthew Tuck wrote:
> > I'm having a problem where my clock seems to jump all over the place.

> <cut> <snip>

> > It's not a hardware
> > fault because I can set it under Windows and it will stay correct.  It
> > seems every time I boot Linux it gets set backwards in time, and that
> > these changes _accumulate_.
>
> I had this problem couple of days ago. It appeares that
> /etc/adjtime got corrupted somehow. Now I am wondering if that
> is a bug. Anyway, try removing /etc/adjtime and setting the correct time
> with date or ntpdate. In my case the problem went away.
> There is no danger in removing /etc/adjtime, I think.
> It'll get recreated after the next reboot. If that solves the problem
> for there is probably a bug in util-linux that gets /etc/adjtime corrupted
> on upgrade. If not it might be a battery.
> To be sure check the time in BIOS setup BEFORE you boot into linux in
> the morning and then see if after bootup the time differs.

<cut> <snip>

It may very well be a bug.

I've been fighting basically the same problem for several days now except my clock
moves forward in time when I boot into linux. I'm beginning to suspect that it has
something to do with the clock freq.???  It appears (unscientifically so far) that the
forward time jump ranges from a few minutes to several hours depending on how long it's
been since I last set the date command.

I'll give the 'deleting /etc/adjtime' remedy a try and see what happens.

John