Re: Bizarre Clock Problem

On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 01:18:41PM +0930, Matthew Tuck wrote:
> I'm having a problem where my clock seems to jump all over the place.
> At the moment I have to set it every start up, when I remember that is.
> I have searched the archives and not found anything.
>
> Basically the clock is out by a number of hours, usually in the past.  I
> don't know if there is a pattern in this time difference, there is
> probably, but in my flailing about to fix things, I probably don't
> notice.  I do set the hardware clock with hwclock.  It's not a hardware
> fault because I can set it under Windows and it will stay correct.  It
> seems every time I boot Linux it gets set backwards in time, and that
> these changes _accumulate_.

I had this problem couple of days ago. It appeares that
/etc/adjtime got corrupted somehow. Now I am wondering if that
is a bug. Anyway, try removing /etc/adjtime and setting the correct time
with date or ntpdate. In my case the problem went away.
There is no danger in removing /etc/adjtime, I think.
It'll get recreated after the next reboot. If that solves the problem
for there is probably a bug in util-linux that gets /etc/adjtime corrupted
on upgrade. If not it might be a battery.
To be sure check the time in BIOS setup BEFORE you boot into linux in
the morning and then see if after bootup the time differs.