Bizarre Clock Problem

I'm having a problem where my clock seems to jump all over the place.
At the moment I have to set it every start up, when I remember that is.
I have searched the archives and not found anything.

Basically the clock is out by a number of hours, usually in the past.  I
don't know if there is a pattern in this time difference, there is
probably, but in my flailing about to fix things, I probably don't
notice.  I do set the hardware clock with hwclock.  It's not a hardware
fault because I can set it under Windows and it will stay correct.  It
seems every time I boot Linux it gets set backwards in time, and that
these changes _accumulate_.

My timezone and "clock as local time" settings have not changed and are
correct.  I am not running chrony, ntp, ntpdate, although I have when I
was experimenting, and this might have happened when I removed them,
although I am not sure.  They may have been running at the same time.
Reinstallation and purging has been unsuccessful in preventing the
problem.

I suspect something is going on in the rc scripts, although I don't have
enough experience with them to tell.  There is a file called
/etc/rc0.d/S25hwclock.sh, and I don't know whether this is normal.
Help!

--
     Matthew Tuck - Software Developer & All-Round Nice Guy
             mailto:matty@box.net.au (ICQ #8125618)