Re: Potato broke my samba

David Warnock wrote:

> Jens,
>
> I am sorry that I seem to have upset you by posting to the list. I have
> spent some hours time attempting to find a solution before posting
> although this does not extend to looking into the source or the packages
> but in testing a number of different configuration files and working
> throught the supplied diagnostics and documentation.

Sorry to word too strongly. I'm not mad that people post to the list for
such problems, rather I just want to end the needless suffering of those who
bang their heads for days trying to figure out a problem when it exists as a
known bug and can be looked up so quickly.

> I will take your advice and check for bug reports in the future.
> However, my assumption throughout was that the most likely problem was
> me being stupid user which is why I did not assume it was a problem with
> the maintainer. For this reason I would not and did not mail the
> maintainer about problems like this before checking that I am correct
> via the list.
>
> Anyway the good news is that the solution suggested by Jim has worked
> fine for me, switching to a 2.2.10 kernel has meant that samba has
> started working loverely again. I don't mind moving to a 2.2 kernel at
> all. So this solution does not worry me.

Ok, excellent. I wouldn't mind upgrading either but I can't get my IPIP
tunnel working under 2.2.x. (If you or anyone else reading this has please
let me know.) Also, the smbmount causes me grief because it somehow loses
connections and then tries to prompt for a password (which is useless since
it's running in the background). On the other hand, samba isn't the only
package which is broken for 2.0.x, there's also dhcp-* and e2fsprogs, so on
that score you'll have an easier time with 2.2.X.

Cheers,

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com