debian list security; mh question (was Re: spam on debian lists (Re : Program Submission))

Oops -- that 'sam@tumbolia.debian.org' was me (Samuel Scarano) --
there's no such thing as tumbolia.debian.org -- I'm surprised the list
server accepted that! What happened was, I sent the message using mh
(from my laptop, which is (and was) connected via the t1 we have at my
job), which tries to send mail as if my computer has a real hostname.
Usually it just gets rejected and I remember that I can't do that and
proceed to try again using tkrat, which is configured to use my
university's smtp server to send messages.

Does anyone know why lists.debian.org accepted my message despite:
1) the invalid hostname, and
2) the fact that no 'sam@tumbolia.debian.org' is subscribed to the list?

Just to be clear, I'm not affiliated with Debian, and didn't send that
message from some mythical tumbolia.debian.org -- tumbolia is the
hostname I gave my laptop (brownie points if you know the reference :-)
and I guess debian.org is the default domain name in slink -- unless I
got drunk and entered that myself....

Another question I have, which has been bothering me for a while (and believe
me, I have RTFM), is: how do I tell mh to use a remote smtp server?