Re: mail list abuse? (was Re: sendmail/fetchmail how?)

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 09:36:49AM -0400, Samuel R. Scarano wrote:

> Hm. So this guy's not really subscribing to the list, but wants us
> subscribers to help you out? I think this is considered bad form -- I
> don't think the mailing list is intended to allow people to mooch help
> without actually being part of it (and putting up with the volume).

Since this is the primary place for Debian user support I'd be more
sympathetic to it here than I would be on Usenet, although it's still
bad form.

I am extremely sympathetic to such requests when they are about mail
setup - it is entirely possible to be able to send without good recieve
ability (eg, using a company account which frowns on high volume lists,
reduced to reading via POP).

> Perhaps I'm just being self-righteous? What's the consensus?
> On the other hand, the volume is quite overwhelming, so I can
> understand the desire to just get quick help that way. I've always
> thought that this list should be replaced by a newsgroup, but I guess
> that's already been discussed to death. I just wonder how much more the
> volume can grow before the mailing list is considered impractical....

It's already gated to a group.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/