Re: mail list abuse? (was Re: sendmail/fetchmail how?)

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 09:36:49AM -0400, Samuel R. Scarano wrote:
> On 27 Jul, Geocrawler.com wrote:
> > This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Joakim Svensson" <jocke1s@earthling.net>
> > Be sure to reply to that address.
>
> Hm. So this guy's not really subscribing to the list, but wants us
> subscribers to help you out? I think this is considered bad form -- I
> don't think the mailing list is intended to allow people to mooch help
> without actually being part of it (and putting up with the volume).
> Perhaps I'm just being self-righteous? What's the consensus?
Totally agree with you. People do this on USENET,too. They post
through Dejanews and then say "I don't have time to check
this newsgroup, so please email me." The list is not your
personal help desk.

> On the other hand, the volume is quite overwhelming, so I can
> understand the desire to just get quick help that way. I've always
> thought that this list should be replaced by a newsgroup, but I guess
> that's already been discussed to death. I just wonder how much more the
> volume can grow before the mailing list is considered impractical....
Its already on my news server as muc.linux.debian-user or something
like that. I know it has been archived on Dejanews as well. The
primary reasons include maintaining a good S/N (signal to noise)
ratio. Quite honestly, with fetchmail in the background running
every 10 minutes, maildrop/qmail filtering the list mail,
and mutt, my trustly threaded mail reader, it
feels like a newsgroup and looks like a newsgroup, so it
must BE a newsgroup, right? :-)

> BTW (off-topic): since I'm adding to the volume anyway, I thought I'd
> just thank those who responded to my video card question. I'm going
> with the Riva TNT, just so you know. And that Linux hardware link
> (http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html) was *very*
> informative -- highly recommended.
Cool! I'm the happy owner of a Riva TNT2. Have you checked out the
GLX stuff that NVidia released? Running Q3Test in a window with
decent performance was Very Impressive!

--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com