mail list abuse? (was Re: sendmail/fetchmail how?)

On 27 Jul, Geocrawler.com wrote:
> This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Joakim Svensson" <jocke1s@earthling.net>
> Be sure to reply to that address.

Hm. So this guy's not really subscribing to the list, but wants us
subscribers to help you out? I think this is considered bad form -- I
don't think the mailing list is intended to allow people to mooch help
without actually being part of it (and putting up with the volume).
Perhaps I'm just being self-righteous? What's the consensus?

Personally, I've been mailing help responses to the list (so everyone
can see them), and to the list *only*, in order to prevent this behavior
(and keep legit subscribers from getting duplicate messages).

On the other hand, the volume is quite overwhelming, so I can
understand the desire to just get quick help that way. I've always
thought that this list should be replaced by a newsgroup, but I guess
that's already been discussed to death. I just wonder how much more the
volume can grow before the mailing list is considered impractical....

BTW (off-topic): since I'm adding to the volume anyway, I thought I'd
just thank those who responded to my video card question. I'm going
with the Riva TNT, just so you know. And that Linux hardware link
(http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html) was *very*
informative -- highly recommended.