Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists

Wayne Topa wrote:

>         Subject: Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists
>         Date: Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 05:12:22PM -0400

> Quoting William T Wilson(fluffy@snurgle.org):
> > On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Wayne Topa wrote:
> >
> > > I just did an informal survey on which mailer program by those
> > > offenders are using.
> > >
> > > Pine        8
> >
> > As a long-time Pine user (check the headers) I must confess that I have
> > been occasionally guilty of the same offense.
> >
> > The problem is that, although Pine manages to set the in-reply-to:
> > headers, etc. it does not give the user an opportunity to edit them - even
> > if you turn on full header mode.
> >
> > If there's a way to get at that particular header, please, let me know.
> >
> > Which means that the uses is responsible for adding the mailing list to
> > his address book, remembering the list address (heh), or... screwing up
> > the threads.
> >
> > > Might it be that these mail programs have poor docs?  Might it be that
> > > the people that use them don't realize how badly these posts mess up
> >
> > That's part of it (both of them).
> >
> > > the display of good MUA's.  Might it be OK for me to recommend that
> > > they take a look at mutt.
>
> So, are there any Pine experts out there that have figured out a
> 'good' way to edit the Full Headers?  I must confess that all
> my experiences with Pine have been purged.
>
> With mutt its easy, ,L to reply to a list, ,r to reply to an person,
> and m  to start a new mail.  I would have thought Pine had a way to
> generate a new mail.  Humm, it can only reply?
>
> Well anyway, thanks for trying anyway.

I think what he's saying, Wayne, is that he's doing a reply instead of
generating a new message so he won't have to remember the list address
or put it in his address book.  "Trying" would be what he didn't do.
Hard to believe, I know.  At least he confessed.  We won't have to bring
out the soft cushions this time.