Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists

	Subject: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists
	Date: Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 10:00:45PM -0500

Quoting Stephen Pitts(smpitts@midsouth.rr.com):
> <SOAPBOX>
> If you wish to start a new thread on the list,
> PLEASE send a message to debian-user@lists.debian.org.
> DO NOT just reply to any old message in your mailbox.
> If you do that, then the threading gets messed up,
> and it doesn't display right in the archives, or
> in threaded mail clients like mutt.
>
> For a prime example, look at,
> "sendmail virtual hosting" right in the middle
> of "STABLE graphical FTP client".
> Also, "Partition table change", right in the middle
> of "i740 video card drivers".
> </SOAPBOX>

Stephen

  I could not agree more!

I just did an informal survey on which mailer program by those
offenders are using.

Pine        8
Mozilla     4   (1) Mozilla for Macintosh
Eudora Pro  2

Now I haven't used Pine for .. well lets say since I was weaned.
Never have used the other two for mail either.

Might it be that these mail programs have poor docs?  Might it be that
the people that use them don't realize how badly these posts mess up
the display of good MUA's.  Might it be OK for me to recommend that
they take a look at mutt.

NOTE:  This survey is very informal.  I only did it on this mailing
list with the messages left after deleteing those that I thought
lacked sufficient info supplied and those that showed a lack of effort
by the sender to locate info before asking us to do his research for
him.  I get paid for doing that.

HAND
Wayne
--
Alpha. Software undergoes alpha testing as a first step in getting
user feedback. Alpha is Latin for "doesn't work."