Re: Lynx Problems

On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 04:41:52AM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 11:39:20AM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> >
> > I don't even know if its running ..... all I can tell for sure is when I type "lynx" something responds telling me its looking for server homepage, but after a few mins gives up and says "STARTFILE:richardson.apana.org.au"
> > not found
>
> OK, you are going to have to go into the /etc/lynx/cfg file.  There is line near the top like this:
>
> STARTFILE:<URL>
>
> I suggest using a local file (else lynx won't start if you net connection is down) so:
>
> STARTFILE:file://localhost/path/to/file.html
>
> alternatively you can specify a URL on the command line:
>
> bash$ lynx http://www.debian.org
>
> Basic lynx navigation:
[snipped]

Doug, if you're still having problems accessing urls with lynx,
here's something you might try.  Install the dnsutils package,
then try something like 'nslookup www.debian.org'.  If you get
a long pause, then an error about host not found, your reslover
configuration is not working correctly.  If, on the other hand,
it works ok, try 'lynx www.debian.org'.  Let us know the results
of both, so we can figure out which way to take it further.

Mike

[Private mail welcome, but no need to CC: me on list replies.]

--
Michael Merten -- ironfoot@popaccount.com
          ---> NRA Life Member -- http://www.nra.org