Re: Suggestion for Newbie Guide Lines

	Subject: Re: Suggestion for Newbie Guide Lines
	Date: Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 12:07:16PM -0500

Quoting John Foster(jfoster@augustmail.com):
> Has anyone ever set up something like the AstaLaVista search engine for
> debian users. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, it is the
> real hackers search engine, and wherever it is hosted, all queries to it
> search only registered hacking sites. I know its mostly used for not to
> legal purposes, however the concept is sound. If we could get this type
> of search engine set up, maybe on the debian site, by a pkg. maintainer
> (possibly using one of the Debian search engines) then anyone who
> maintains a site with Linux or debian material could register their
> site. This would be an excellent way to expand the linux user base, as
> most people who host Debian/Linux material, welcome this type of
> exposure. It would also allow the newest information to be available,
> via a simple search of the site registry. The all newbies could be
> notified of this site the instant they log on to the system. For example
> this could be set up to be part of the new install notices, and it could
> be included as part of the login header for new systems. After the
> newbie wears off they could change the login header; they wouldn't be a
> newbie any longer :)
> --
> John Foster
> AdVance-Computing Systems
> jfoster@augustmail.com
> ICQ# 19460173

If there could be a Web page added to www.debian.org for all of this
newbie Help stuff, this would/could be a very good addition to it.

I have never been there myself, John, but will check it out when I get
some time!

Thanks for the pointer

Wayne

--
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice
versa.