Re: Suggestion for Newbie Guide Lines

Has anyone ever set up something like the AstaLaVista search engine for
debian users. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, it is the
real hackers search engine, and wherever it is hosted, all queries to it
search only registered hacking sites. I know its mostly used for not to
legal purposes, however the concept is sound. If we could get this type
of search engine set up, maybe on the debian site, by a pkg. maintainer
(possibly using one of the Debian search engines) then anyone who
maintains a site with Linux or debian material could register their
site. This would be an excellent way to expand the linux user base, as
most people who host Debian/Linux material, welcome this type of
exposure. It would also allow the newest information to be available,
via a simple search of the site registry. The all newbies could be
notified of this site the instant they log on to the system. For example
this could be set up to be part of the new install notices, and it could
be included as part of the login header for new systems. After the
newbie wears off they could change the login header; they wouldn't be a
newbie any longer :)
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems