Re: Suggestion for Newbie Guide Lines

>> >   I was looking in my mail dir today and noticed my debian-user folder
>> > exceeds 4 Meg for this month.  In reviewing the question and answers
>> > for the last few days, it seems like there is a lot of wasted
>> > bandwidth.

>> I like the idea of less time being wasted on repeating the same answers
>> again and again.

One issue: there is already a lot of documentation out there.  ( I will
not vouch for its quality or lack thereof, but volume is something that it
does not lack).  Every package should have a manpage, and often there is
stuff in /usr{/share}/doc/package also, as well as all the web-based
documentation.

When a new user starts using Linux, a one problem is information
overload. Suddenly, the user is faced with 5000 pages of documentation
(if you take the 'read the docs for every package before you use it'
philosophy) which of course they do not have the time to read.

Until something breaks.

It is not reasonable to expect a new user to read all those docs
before inserting the installation disks.  Or before they start using
the system.  We don't have the magical ability to change human nature here.

One thing that might be nice would be a document that contained:

  * ) a list of 'very important' documents - like some Xfree
     docs, whatever else is really needed to install the system

  * ) a list of (too) commonly asked questions and answers

  * ) a list of places to look for further documentation
     - man/apropos
     - info
     - /usr{/share}/doc/HOWTO
     - online places

  * ) a checklist that the user can follow to attempt to report
      (or maybe even fix...) problems as they occur
        Checklists are easy for users to follow, require no
        previous knowledge, and teach processes for fixing things.
        And they might lead to more detailed bug reports, easier to resond to.

   * ) etc

  If this were kept brief (say less than ten pages) then users could
  print it out (but not read it yet) before they start, for reference when
  the system breaks (when they will have the patience to sit down and look
  for help)

Carl