Re: Mail prgs (exim)

Wayne Topa wrote:

>         Subject: Re: Mail prgs (exim)
>         Date: Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 10:27:41AM -0400

> Quoting Sera Hill(sera.hill@sympatico.ca):
> > Well, I'm not sure how the config works for exim.  When it asks me for
> > information, I'm not sure just *what* it's asking me for?  Like the local
> > hosts thing, and the relay-mail thing.  And exim never once asks for the
> > POP3 Server Domain or the username/pass combo that'd be needed if it were to
> > connect to my POP3 acct.
> >
> > -Sera "The Newbie" Hill
>
> You have the normal eximconfig problem.  Try this and I believe it
> will work for you.
>
> [Thu Apr 15 13:52:08 EDT 1999]
> I "finally!" got the beast to work.  I have
> a suggestion for how to install it.  When the install script starts
> give it the following answers:
>
> Question #              Answer
> 1.                              Your HOME network.domain
> 2                               none
> 3                               none
> 4                               none
> 5                               No Filter
> 6                               Your.ISP's.domain.name
> 7                               Any user (I made one called boss)
> 8                               Yes - Replace /etc/aliases  ( after you have the #7
>                                         already created)
>
> Then go into the /etc/exim.conf and check the following:
>
> qualify_domain = Your Home.domain
> local_domains = localhost          # This made it deliver mail from the ISP to me.
>
> --
> I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
GO WAYNE!! :-)
Sera. There is a difference between the application that manages SMTP
(Exim, Smail, Sendmail,Qmail---), and and the mail reader,Mutt,
NetscapeMail, Tkmail, Balsa (aack!) Ishmail, ---. Get the idea. Exim is
the easiest and is usually the default to Debian installations. You can
also use Fetchmail to get your mail from servers and rout it to boxes on
your system with procmail.
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems