Re: Why is Windows faster ?

> No flames to you    :-)

> My personal experience differs from yours.  However, recognize that X
is a
> network GUI as opposed to Windowz which is an "integral" GUI.

> Even on a single workstation X is running as a client/server model.
> Essentially every keystroke, mouse event, screen draw action, etc.
must
> traverse all but about two layers of the OSI model.

> So the amazing thing is that X performance is so comparible to Windoz.

Don't forget that also:

a) The widget set is unique (therefore takes less resources than
having multiples sets running at once) and way less complete or
featureful (can I say bloated without having to wear an asbestos suit?
=)

b) The graphic system under windows is (if I'm not completely screwed)
a kernel-level implementation, whereas X is user-level. (And much more
network-aware, (can I say bloated for home-users? =) as it was
mentionned earlier)

Also: Xanim is not made by the same guys who make the actual CODECs,
which can end up to worse performance. Some CODECs under windows and
Mac employ a few tens of people (on a regular basis I mean, OSS
projects can actually boast hundreds of contributors in some ways =),
whereas Xanim is developed by a handful (although I'm not rock-certain
on that one, I *think* it's that way).

Christian Lavoie
clavoie@enter-net.com
UIN: 947212