X window setup

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this list and Linux. I am having trouble with the X window
installation.  I have a PowerSpec with Cyrix 166 chip (i turned the cache
off like the instructions recommended) and an old IBM VGA monitor.  The
installatiion program won't detect my monitor or card (I think the 'card'
is built into the motherboard).  Are there some settings that might not
give the best resolution but will wok with most monitors and most
computers?
BTW, I tried a newer monitor and that didn't work either.  I think the
problem is the chip selection.

Is there a way to run the installation program again without removing all
the programs and reloading them, to just add new programs and change
settings?

Thanks

Anand Desai
anandd@juno.com