Re: X window setup

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to this list and Linux. I am having trouble with the X window
> installation.  I have a PowerSpec with Cyrix 166 chip (i turned the cache
> off like the instructions recommended) and an old IBM VGA monitor.  The
> installatiion program won't detect my monitor or card (I think the 'card'
> is built into the motherboard).  Are there some settings that might not
> give the best resolution but will wok with most monitors and most
> computers?
> BTW, I tried a newer monitor and that didn't work either.  I think the
> problem is the chip selection.

I may be a little out of date on X stuff, but it is not even supposed to
autodetect (is it?). The easier way is to get the specs on your card and
monitor (for card you need the brand and model, Vram. For monitor you need
hsync nad vsync refresh rates) and configure it manually.

> Is there a way to run the installation program again without removing all
> the programs and reloading them, to just add new programs and change
> settings?

Hmm.....why don't you just su to root, and run xf86config? Thats the
configuration program for X.

Andrei

> Thanks

> Anand Desai