Re: X window setup

anandd@juno.com wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to this list and Linux. I am having trouble with the X window
> installation.  I have a PowerSpec with Cyrix 166 chip (i turned the cache
> off like the instructions recommended) and an old IBM VGA monitor.  The
> installatiion program won't detect my monitor or card (I think the 'card'
> is built into the motherboard).  Are there some settings that might not
> give the best resolution but will wok with most monitors and most
> computers?
> BTW, I tried a newer monitor and that didn't work either.  I think the
> problem is the chip selection.
>
> Is there a way to run the installation program again without removing all
> the programs and reloading them, to just add new programs and change
> settings?

	The installation program you are talking about is, I believe,
"xf86config", which is part of X itself and is still on your
system.  You don't need to reinstall.
	"SuperProbe" might be able to figure out your video card's
chipset and config, but using the info from your video card's and
monitor's documentation is still preferred.

--
Ed C.