Re: Sound blaster 16 pnp

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 11:45:09PM -0400, roddie wrote:
> Ok guys and gals,
>
> After 9 months of having a mute linux system, I have acquired a real
> soundblaster 16 pnp. But, of course I can't get it to make noise.
>
> I have kernel 2.2.7 running. I have installed the soundcore and sound
> modules, sb module will not install for me, saying that either the device
> is busy, or that i input the wrong parameters. I have tried to install sb
> module with parameters such as I/O=0x220, IRQ=5, DMA=1,5 but it doesn't
> like the I/O characters. So I tried, 0x220, 5, 1 no lucky. I used pnpdump.
> Then loaded edited the file. Loaded it via isapnp, and it seemed to work,
> but didn't. cat /dev/sndstat. says this:

May I recommend installing alsa instead? I have an older SB16PnP
(a model Vibra 16C, new ones are 16X with colour-coded connectors on the
back), and I find the OSS in 2.2.x to be problematic for this card;
fine in 2.0.x though. alsa is much better, but MIDI isn't working yet
as far as I can tell.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).