Re: Sound blaster 16 pnp

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> May I recommend installing alsa instead? I have an older SB16PnP
> (a model Vibra 16C, new ones are 16X with colour-coded connectors on the
> back), and I find the OSS in 2.2.x to be problematic for this card;
> fine in 2.0.x though. alsa is much better, but MIDI isn't working yet
> as far as I can tell.

i haven't had any trouble with my SB16 Creative ViBRA16C PnP and the OSS
modules in the kernel, except for the occasional "Couldn't allocate DMA
buffer" failure.

When i set it up, i had the numbers written down from a previous windows
install. pnpdump --config happened to give me those same numbers, i got
lucky there. i wrote a little script to be run on boot that would insert
all the modules i need. Probably could use insmod instead of modutils,
but it works so i don't want to change it ;)

For testing, you'd want to skip the "2> /dev/null" at the end of the
lines.

  #! /bin/bash
  case "$1" in
    start)
      echo -n "Setting up sound card..."
      # Plug n Play config
      /usr/local/bin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf 2> /dev/null
      # Install basic sound modules
      insmod soundcore 2> /dev/null
      insmod sound 2> /dev/null
      # init'ize uart thing, because sb needs it
      insmod uart401 2> /dev/null
      # Set up the actual sound card! Pulled numbers out of /etc/isapnp.conf
      insmod sb io=0x220 irq=9 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x300 type=6 2> /dev/null
      # Midi support. Note that this automatically loads opl3.o as well
      modprobe adlib_card io=0x388 2> /dev/null
      echo "Done."
  esac

  exit 0