Re: Network newbie

  the net3 howto is not lacking, believe me ... it can work u miracles if ull
read and really understand it ...
  did ur kernel detect ur lan card ?  or if u included the module to
autumatically be loaded unpon bootup (/etc/modules), did u see the message
that looks something like  eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1 blahhhhhhhhh ...
  if so, u can happily start configuring ur network now.  try invoking #
ifconfig as root ... if u dont find any start w/ ur localhost :
# ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
# route add -net 127.0.0.1 (needed only if u use 2.0.x kernels)

now for ur lan,
# ifconfig eth0 IPADD netmask NETMASK broadcast BCAST
# route add -net NETWORK (again, needed only if u have 2.0.x kernel)

where:	eth0 is the interface # at w/c the kernel assiged ur card
	IPADD is ur ipaddress (example 172.16.103.8)
	NETMASK is ur netmask add (example 255.255.255.0)
	BCAST is ur broadcast address (example 172.16.103.255)
	NETWORK is ur network num (172.16.103.0)

if u have a gateway in ur LAN, that is, a router or another linux box acting
as a masquerading server, u can also add the a command to set default route
to that gateway w/
# route add default gw GATEWAY (where GATEWAY is ur gateways addy)

if u use ppp to connect to that internet, u dont need this ... to automate
all these at bootup, add these commands to /etc/init.d/network

hope this helps,
Chad