Re: Network newbie

Robert Kerr <kerrr@et.byu.edu> writes:

> Okay, is there any walk-through written on how to configure my home
> network?  I've got two machines, with NE2000-compatible network cards.
> I've recompiled my kernel to give me module support of them, but now I'm
> stuck.  Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can find the
> instructions?
>
> (FWIW I've read the NET-3 HowTo, and find it sadly lacking.)

I hate to sound patronizing, but that's how I set up my home network -
that HOWTO alone. Do you have any particular questions? What do you
not understand there? Maybe you should read again.

Read the sections dealing with IP assignments, and commands
"ifconfigure" and "route". That's mostly what it takes to get a
network running. Once you are able to ping the other machine, you are
also able to telnet and ftp to it.

The rest depends on what you want to do with your network.
--
Arcady Genkin
"I opened up my wallet, and it's full of blood..." - GsYDE