compiling with vfat option

Thanks for all the feedback about the LILO - System.map question
that I had. But its not over yet !!, now I'm firing up another one ;)

It turns out my initial kernel that came with the distribution had
vfat as a module, this is reconfirmed by the fact that I have a line
which says "vfat" in my /etc/modules file.

Well, I was not aware of all this when I was struggling to compile
a kernel, and I did not include support for vfat in my first attepmt.
So what happened was when I booted up with this first trial kernel
I got boot messages like:

lib/.../2.0.34/modules/vfat.o: unresolved symbol fat_***

So, in my second trial kernel build operation ! I included the vfat
support hoping that it would get rid of those annoing boot-up
messages, then I made a make modules and make modules_install, and
double checked that the file /lib/.../modules/fs/vfat.o was actually
the version that I had just built.

The moral of the story is that this clever move of mine, was not
enough to convince my linux kernel that I really did include the
vfat support, and my kernel is still issuing the same messages
during boot-up.

Anybody have any ideas whats going on here ???

Fethi Okyar
Research Assistant
Computational Solid Mechanics
MMAE Department, IIT