Re: smail, not open email relay

>> "NB" == Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@esselite.it> writes:

NB> Alas I fear that the version string "Smail-3.2 1996-Jul-4 #2"
NB> means _before_ that feature was added, sendmail does not work any
NB> more, the above line is what I got when I tried to send out mail
NB> as a user of the box.

You said you hae Debian 1.3, so yes, the smail package is too old for
that.

You can recompile smail. Get the new sources from the current Debian
stable tree (dists/stable/main/source), that is all three packages
(.diff.gz. .dsc .tar.gz - use a ftp programm, Netscape will decompress
them).

Then run
dpkg-source -x smail*.dsc
cd into the created smail directory